Read Proverbs 1:1-7 and 19:23
Hundreds of times the Bible tells us to fear God. Often the word fear is a reverential awe or trust of God. Sometimes it means we should fear God exceedingly. Why should we fear God? What does it mean? We hope to answer these questions today
WHAT IT MEANS TO FEAR GOD.
- To fear God means to recognize his awesome power – Matthew 28:18-20
- Think of it – wouldn’t it be foolish not to fear Him who has been given all the power in the universe.
- He said, “All power is given unto me.” The power given to Him can be passed on to the Christian.
- Fearing Him reminds us of where we were, where we are, and where we’re going. Psalm 9:20, “Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men.”
- To fear God means to respond to His authority – not only to recognize His awesome power but also to respond to His authority scripturally.
- When we fear God we recognize that He has complete power and authority over us.
- He has authority over our body, our soul, and our spirit – Matthew 10:28.
- Romans 9:20-23 teaches that He has the power and authority to make us as He pleases.
- To fear God means to remember His law – Deuteronomy 10:12-13
- God requires us to keep His commandments and to fear Him.
- If we fear God, we will depart from evil, according to Proverbs 16:6.
Read Jeremiah 47-52, Proverbs 31. Read the following verses and write down the blessings that come from fearing God. Psalm 34:7-9, Proverbs 19:23, Psalm 103:17. Complete___