Read John 21:15-17 again.
The warm word agape is the characteristic term of Christianity. This word for love is used several different ways in the Bible.
- Agape love indicates the nature of the love of God toward His Beloved Son John 17:26, toward the human race generally John 3:16; Romans 5:8, and toward those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ John 14:21.
- Agape love conveys God’s will to His children about their attitude toward one another. Love for one another was a proof to the world of true discipleship John 13:34-35.
- Agape love also expresses the essential nature of God 1 John 4:8. Love can be known only from the actions it prompts, as seen in God’s love in the gift of His Son 1 John 4:9-10.]
- Love found its perfect expression in the Lord Jesus. Christian love is the fruit of the Spirit of Jesus in the believer Galatians 5:22.
- Love is like oil to the wheels of obedience. It enables us to run the way of God’s commandments Psalm 119:32. Without such love, we are as nothing 1 Corinthians 13:3. Such Spirit-inspired love never fails 1 Corinthians 13:8 but always flourishes.