Ecclesiastes 7:1, “A good name is better than precious ointment and the day of death than the day of one’s birth.”
More important than anything the world offers to make you. More important than to look and smell pretty though you ought to do both.
You cannot cover your reputation with makeup.
So, what is a good name?
- One who is responsible and faithful.
- One who is loyal to his superiors, parents, preacher and teachers.
- One who is clean in his daily walk. “Walk circumspectly.”
- One who will finish what he starts and never quits.
- One who stays close to God.
Little boy who was afraid one night and cuddled up to his Dad and said, “Dad are you there, are you there? I can’t see you. Is your face turned toward me?” “Yes son, feel my face.” He wanted to stay close to his Dad.
6. One who gives his all in all his work.
Have you fought a good fight?
What kind of name do we have?
Noah – a preacher of righteousness.
Abraham – the father of the faithful.
Moses – the lawgiver.
David – the man who sought after God’s own heart.
John – the beloved disciple.
Peter – the man of rock.
Paul – The apostle to the Gentiles.
My and your name?????