1 Corinthians 13:8-13, verses 11 is the text.
In verses 1-3 is our motivation for love.
In verses 4-8 is the definition of love: Action and Attitude.
Love is a mark of maturity.
Three things we must understand to be mature.
THERE WILL BE CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE:
- In your character
Remember that God uses circumstances and people.
2. In your wisdom
Never change in these: In our MINISTRY, MISSION and MESSAGE.
Methods always change: As a preacher I define myself by my message not method.
YOU WON’T ALWAYS UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING.
- Be teachable
You don’t know it all.
2. Build your faith
God does not always answer prayer.
1 Corinthians 14:20, “Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.”
When teaching adults Jesus always talked about child-like faith Lk.18:15-17.
In 1 Corinthians 13:11 Paul spoke of childish thinking.
In an article for “Good News” magazine, Duffy Robbins contrasts childish faith and childlike faith:
- Good Christians don’t have pain and disappointments.
- God wants to make us happy.
- God always answers prayers.
- Faith will help us to always understand what God is doing.
- Good Christians are always strong.
- God uses our pain and disappointment to make us better Christians.
- God wants to make us holy.
- Sometimes He answers with “no” or “wait.”
- Faith will help us to submit to God’s sovereignty even when we don’t have a clue about what God is doing.
- Our strength is in admitting our weakness.
Here is the heart of the matter: Childish faith is self-centered and demanding. It expects God to shield us from all difficulties and to make life comfortable for us. In contrast, childlike faith focuses on God. It trusts Him to use even difficulties for our good and His glory.
What kind of faith is yours?
Childlike faith focuses on our heavenly Father, not on our fear.
- LEARN THAT LOVE IS THE KEY VERSE 13.
- Love is the key to relationships.
- Love produces:
- Love for each other.
John 13:35, “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”
How to build love?
- Structure: Don’t be a big shot.
- Spirit: Keep going back to the cross.
- Stay in love with Jesus: Just like with your wife.
Poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browing:
“Love looks beyond the bound of time and space, Love takes eternity in its embrace.”
Love never dies
Love is never defeated
- Love is never disillusioned.
- Love is never disappointed.
That’s why there are so many divorces today.
This is the kind of love that holds two hearts together.
Christ never ceased loving.
You cannot do anything to keep Him from loving you.
No sin is beyond His love.