The Hebrew Children said in verses 17-18, “If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.” In other words:”
1. We will not bow down and serve your gods.
2. We will serve God; we are devoted to his honor; we will work for him; we will depend upon Him to protect us; provide for us and reward us.
3. We know that “God is Able” to deliver us; whether He will or not is His business. We are sure that God can either prevent our being cast into the furnace or rescue us out of it.
4. We have reason to hope He will deliver us because it would honor His name to do this in front of all these idolitors, and because Nebuchadnezzar had defied Him to do it. But if He does not deliver us out of the furnace, He will deliver us out of thy hand.
5. Nebuchadnezzar can torment and kill the body, but after that there is no more he can do to us. “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31.
THREE IMPORTANT TRUTHS:
I. THEIR CHALLENGE WAS TO DO WRONG.
II. THEY HAD COURAGE TO TAKE THEIR STAND FOR GOD.
III. THEIR COMPANION WAS WITH THEM – JESUS!
Dante said, “The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”