I. THE MOTIVE OF SANCTIFICATION.
- It ought to be within every member of the church to seek to live a sanctified life. That means a surrender of body, mind and spirit for the purpose of serving and glorifying God.
- It also means for a personal purity in heart as well as life. Meaning we are to“cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”2 Corinthians 7:1.
II.THE MEANING OF SANCTIFICATION.
- It is of God as well as the will of God. That ought to move any of us to pray, “teach me to do Thy will, for thou are my God.”
- Christ’s death is the means. His death was by God’s plan: “He gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify Himself peculiar people, zealous of good works” Titus 2:14.
III. THE MEANS OF SANCTIFICATION.
- It is by God’s truth.
- It is by His providence.
There is such a fine line between the providence of God and election. Let me first of all say that God does not elect anyone to go to hell.
I like the way Evangelist Paul Mershon put it: “Election is no more than God revealing the ‘means and method’ of salvation. The means is faith and grace. That is God has given us enough faith to believe the simple gospel of Christ, and it is by the method of grace that He saved us.”
Ephesians 2:8-9, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- It is by His ordinances.
- It is by His Holy Spirit for Holiness.
Next: PURITY OF HEART!